17.10.08

Humbled By Bus



If you are familiar with the LA bus system, you know that while I took this photo below I was carefully perched on the wheel well and the brochure wall because of the lack of room. 

This picture has in fact captured more "Happenings" than the recent hit blockbuster film "The Happening". 

For example, at my bottom right, two elderly British tourists (accents and good bus maps were my first clue) sit cooly, hoping I'll stop resting my feet on their armrest...nice try Crumpets, but not in America! Red white and blue! These colors don't run!

There's also a voluminous amount of teen angst aboard which will always have a place in my heart. 

The packed bus is evidence enough that more lines need run. 

The most interesting part of this picture, and primary purpose for this entry, however, is Mr. Bluetooth. Now, I suppose this could be a low-income man with a junky piece of technology he swiped at the 99cent store as a sort of status power-play, but I'm willing to wager quite the opposite. 

In a day where gas prices are still significantly higher than they should be, a tech buff with a bluetooth & nice dress shirt sits next to a pregnant woman heading for community college (I asked) and under the armpit of an honest & hardworking man ( I assumed). This is magical. 

I know gas prices are out of control. And I know buses smell. And I know the economy is falling to pieces (special thanks to Alex Aviles). But, in a way, I'm a little bit glad. 

I'm glad because without this armageddon of sorts, I don't think I would have had the privilege to balance on a steel railing for two hours-- witnessing the oftentimes failed interaction of the elderly with the homeless, the hungry with the wealthy, the happy with the sad, the understanding with the not-so-understanding, the grateful with the not-so-ungrateful, the travelers with the commuters, and so on and so forth. 

We need to see each other a little more; break into our respective bubbles. We need to relearn how to interact. We no longer have the luxury of our individually, air-conditioned escapes (NOTE: Not a social commentary of the Ford Escape). We have forgotten what it's like to not be the center of the universe, to not matter, and to not take ourselves so seriously.

Thus, I'm not even mad at gas prices any more. I look up at that sign and I smile which is mind-bottling when it's 90% of my monthly expenses. The high prices force us together and we could all use a little more togetherness....unless you witness someone get shot at a bus stop (Bern)...then you're off the hook. 

4 comments:

Bernadette said...

thanks for the shout-outs babygirl.
but here's an interesting fact: once, on a spectacularly crowded bus, i offered my seat up to an elderly woman. i was infuriated when no one nodded their head to my good deed.
i think that disqualified any sort of good karma.

Ally Stoltz said...

unfortunately you are still ineligible for "good karma" despite your second try impressing people on my blog!

also, karma's fake.

Marian Alonso said...

this is quite relevant to my life. I've given up on personal space down here, especially on the buses. This morning an elbow in my upper back was hitting a muscle I never knew existed. I look at it as free chiropractic advice. And all types of people take the bus here--it's not at all limited to one level of income. And you have to give up your seat to the viejos, it's a rule and no one's going to give you nod of approval. So don't expect any recognition when you come visit bern, or when you don't. Don't worry, I'm just not kidding. Not. love, m

Anonymous said...

Bern should have gotten extra extra props! Karma no. There is a list of people that should have given their seat up before her. (Any man, the tourists especially, etc...) There is something wrong when no man gives up their seat for an old woman who probably can hardly walk. So good job Bern!