13.10.09

Community Coming Soon

This is somewhat in response to a blog i enjoy everythingisinspiration.com--specifically an entry about communal living. I am almost first in line for anything that looks, feels, sounds, or (most appropriately) smells like community.



My fascination for communes and gardens and summer camps and winter camps and sharing and caring is so ingrained in me that it's become, in many ways, the proverbial thorn in my conservative-ish family's proverbial side.

Note: Big family dinners rarely end without a reference to "Obama: Ally's King", Sweden & Why It Will Never Work Here, and the more reasonably presented but still very very pessimistic "Oh ya... you'll love a commune til someone didn't pull their weight".


But what's a person who loves community to do when there is a great discrepancy between their actual lives and a full fledged sharing homegrown zucchini lifestyle.

The answer: (for now) The Internet.

It sounds like a weak answer--a poor substitute-- but check these 2 most recent needs being met via twitter & facebook status update.

NEED: Flip cam to bring to a focus group that pays $100.

allystoltz: anyone near have a Flip Cam (Ultra U1120) they could let me borrow for one day in October? I would be forever indebted to you.

lesinski: (LMU Lion & Old Flame of a Friend): I don't think I have that exact model, but you can borrow mine.


NEED: Free Physical For The Cruise Ship Job... $400 value

allystoltz: anybody know how I could get a free full physical? it's for a job...get your minds out of the gutter.

Laura August-Schmidt (fellow LMUer and craft mafia woman): venice family clinic? (310) 392-8636 i think that's their appointment number. (if you go on a friday afternoon I can take your vitals!)

I can't thank these two enough and although the internet is less sexy than gardening with Shane Claiborne, I think it should no go unappreciated.

My next need...

I tweeted this (and a few more) a while back...a few nibbles but no catch yet.


allystoltz: Anyone know phil collins?
11:12 AM Apr 21st


FullyFunKtional @allystoltz did you find anyone that knows him yet? Have met him, but still working on the 'knowing' him!


I've done some follow up tweets just to keep that heart beatin

#phil collins is on the radio right now, its a sign.10:31 AM Apr 22nd from txt
#Phil collins, im comin for you.10:14 PM Jun 30th from txt
Phil collins on the radio. Life is good.3:17 PM Sep 23rd from txt
Phil collins and raquetball with the fam5:30 PM Oct 1st from txt



PS I'm not alone

2 comments:

'awaken' said...

so good.

you know, we will live in a real commune one day. all of us. we just have to.

Bernadette said...

i love this blog entry. it's perfectly crafted.